In a world where Coronavirus is at the centre of most conversations, what can we do to keep our immune system strong and hopefully de-risk our chances of picking up the disease? You’ll be pleased to know there are a number of things you can do to help give your immune system the best possible chance to be as strong as it can be.
- Sleep: Make sure you get enough sleep – ideally 8 hours or more
- Be Active: Exercise regularly – 3-5 sessions a week for at least 20 minutes
- Eat Healthy: Eat a balanced, healthy diet high in fruits and vegetables. Try to consume foods rich in Vitamins A, C and E – think of these vitamins as super immune boosting heroes
- Cut out bad habits: Don’t smoke or drink – yes, really!
- Don’t worry: Try to keep stress and anxiety levels to a minimum. Meditation and practicing gratitude as well as physical exercise can really help with this.
- Maintain good hygiene: Don’t put your immune system under any unnecessary pressure, wash your hands regularly in line with government recommendations
- Stay Healthy: Maintain a healthy body weight and good health – you want your physical health to be on top form so if you do pick up the Covid-19 virus, you give yourself the best possible chance to fight it off with only mild symptoms.
- Keep your distance: Keep your distance from other people – you want to limit the risk of picking up unnecessary infections and viruses at this time
Do all of these and your body, mind and immune system will thank you now and later on too. Every part of your body, including your immune system, functions better when protected from external factors.
Author: Laura Stembridge, MSc, CEO InsideOut
Date: 22nd March, 2020